[rollei_list] Rodinal, TMax, scanning

  • From: Bob Smith <notraces@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:11:28 -0400

I read this from Sanders this morning and I wanted a little clarification - I
could be misinterpreting the thought. I've never heard of underexposed negs
causing Newton Rings. Am I understanding this correctly? I spent many years
selling both high-end drum scanners (Hell Graphics / Linotype / Scitex - along
with flatbed scanners from Iris / AGFA, etc) - and I never recall hearing
Newton rings can be caused by underexposed negatives. Now I'm curious and just
looking for some clarification.

Thanks.

Bob Smith

"I am curious to hear more about your experience in scanning
underexposed film directly on the glass.  My experience is that it
is a nightmare, because of the Newton rings caused by the bare
substrate on the glass (a problem I rarely encounter with a lot
of developed emulsion in a well-exposed negative).  How do
you avoid this problem with underexposed negatives on the glass?"---