[rollei_list] Re: Prints from slides

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:30:58 -0400

On Oct 6, 2011, at 10:14 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 07:03 PM 10/6/2011, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>2011/10/6 Bob James <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>... I have absolutely no experience with scanned slides and digital
>prints versus the old school method.
>>
>> Are the digital scans and prints of Rollei color slides of the same
>archival quality as the prior enlarger print method?
>
>In the old times you had two main options to print your slides, the
>direct positive process via Cibachrome paper (Ilfochrome afterward)
>that produced excellent prints, this method was not easy to do at home
>for several reasons and it was not so easy to find a lab for the
>process, and you also had the method via an internegative, there were
>special films for the task; using a gear to duplicate slides the
>positive was photographed and the neg was printed as a regular
>negative, results could be satisfactory  but the quality never was
>similar regarding the original or regarding a ciba/ilfochrome prints.
>
>As Robert and Håkon wrote, it's a lot easier to get very good digital
>prints from slides today, and you can still enjoy the original image
>projected via your slide projector.

I made Cibachrome/Ilfochrome prints at home for years and the process is certainly not terribly difficult -- in some respects, it is easier than C-41 development. The trick was to figure out the calibration for your enlarger and to be willing to tweak this whenever you opened a new box of paper. Beyond that, it was extremely easy.

Marc

My wife, with absolutely no prior experience in the darkroom whatever, once made a set of Cibachrome prints for me as a birthday present. They were pretty good, too.

Easy enough?

Allen Zak---