[rollei_list] Re: Patents and Lens Designs

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:01:26 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 5:11 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Patents and Lens Designs

At 06:27 PM 10/5/2009, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    There are not a lot of books on lens design, as
>contrasted with general optics. Optics books abound, some of >them very good. The best known books on lens design are the >series written by Rudolf Kingslake, of Kodak, and, oh hell,
>I've just drawn a blank on a name, will come back to me
>later.

Try MODERN LENS DESIGN:  A RESOURCE MANUAL, by
Warren J Smith.  I believe that this is the
accepted standard in the field today.  Or so
folks on this List chided me a few years back.

Mac

That's it! I can't believe the the stuff that sometimes falls right off the edge. Smith's book is in at least its second edition but the first is still valuable.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA