[rollei_list] Re: Patents and Lens Designs

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:55:08 -0500

We're dealing with two different things here.  First, there is the
technical wording of patent law.  On the other hand, there is accepted
practice.

The two do not always agree.  But the patents in question would only
be found invalid through some sort of court case.

In any event, the lens patents we're talking about from the 1950s are
all expired now.  So the idea of rendering them invalid is moot.

A patent for the game Monopoly was awarded to Charles Darrow in 1935.
We know today that Darrow was not the inventor of Monopoly.  However,
the patent was not challenged in court and thus remained in effect
until it expired 17 years later.