[rollei_list] Re: Patents and Lens Designs

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:15:38 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 11:09 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Patents and Lens Designs

Hi Austin,
that sounds right to me. IME often the "famous" guy in a company is the guy with the best personal PR skills, not necessarily the one with the most talent/influence. I would be very surprised if it were true that the person named in the patent was not the inventor. Maybe Kingslake is one of the personal PR guys and likes people to think he did more than he actually did???
The literature is not always/often too reliable.
GRD
Frank

Actually, Kingslake has very few patents. Mostly the lens patents assigned to Kodak while Kingslake was head of the optical department were mostly issued to others. Kodak had some very fine designers such as Altman and Acklin. I think what Kingslake did was to provide a good envirionment for these people to work and insured good quality control over the manufactured product. Kingslake ran the Kodak lens department from about 1939 to his retirement in 1961. Over that period Kodak was making some of the very best lenses made and had an enviable reputation for consistency in an industry that, in general, left final QC to the purchaser.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA