[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex Planar 3.5/75 6 elements patent

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:09:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 5:39 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleiflex Planar 3.5/75 6 elements patent

I found the US Patent for the 3.5/75 6 elements "Planar" as used in the Rolleiflex from about 1960, it looks like a Xenotar design clearly and the diagram is identical regarding the diagram Todd sent me and regarding that one in Prochnow, the only minimal difference is the very slight separation between the fourth and fifth element in the patent that are cemented in the other diagrams. This lens was patented in Germany in February 1955 for Carl Zeiss and in February 1956 in the
States for Carl Zeiss too.
Look for the Patent number: 2831397 at Google patents.-

This patent describes an f/2 lens. Whether it has any relationship to the five element Planar is open to question. One would have to analyse the elements given in the patent. It could as well be a conventional Planar with one element split into two, a common device for reducing aberrations. Kingslake points out somewhere that with computer design its difficult to describe any lens as being related to older generic types. Note that a similarity in the schematic diagram can be misleading as to the functions of the elements in a particular design.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA