[rollei_list] Re: OT: Unearned Government Benefits

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 19:46:46 -0500

I came to the U.S. at the age of 14. I filled out my selective service form when I turned 18. The coast guard turned me down for OCS, and the air force ignored my fluency in Arabic (first gulf war), and wanted to put me in a some technology school - so I declined. I offered my service. I was ready, but I wasn't going to let some bumpkin recruiter waste what I had to offer. And when I think of the scrambling that's still going on, I shake my head.

I am a taxpayer, a voter, an employer, and an educator. I take my role as a citizen very seriously, and I hope there isn't a hint in your question that my lack of military service is a disqualification of some sort.

My father served his country in and out of uniform - when he didn't have to, and wasn't asked, in ways too remarkable to detail here, and he impressed all his children with his sense of duty and loyalty. He did not come from a long line of military officers, but farmers and tribal elders, and what his minority group had to endure to survive through the ages is easily equal to centuries of war, so every man woman and child of that group, for well over 1200 years is a veteran, and I come from them.

I in no way intended to imply, not to you or anyone, not now or ever, that what you or any veteran gets from the government is a rip-off.
As a matter of fact I think it's shamefully too little.

I do what I can each and every day to defend the polity Marc, as do many many others. We don't all need a uniform or a gun, or some guy in a fancy outfit with ribbons telling us how to do it. And part of that defense is being a voice and vote that forces the hand of our government to spread a little art here and there. I do it not because I want to see your tax dollars waisted, but because I truly believe it is good for us - as good as, maybe better than, really fast jets that drop really big bombs.

Elias

On Mar 8, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

Elias

Most of my forebears did defend the settlements at no pay. They got rations and ammunition and nothing else. Things got a bit better after the War of `1812 -- I had a forebear who served in both the Revolutionary War and in the War of 1812. Your point is well taken about the reality that, in the end, we must serve to protect our communities whether pay is involved or not.

I appreciate your thank you!

Now, Elias, tell me about your military service and that of your family. For all I know, you might be the son of a famous Field Marshal!

So, in your estimation, I get my VA disability pension and my retired pay as a rip-off of the government. Perhaps so, but, at the least, if I had put the same energy into, say, CBS, I'd enjoy a much more lush retirement than I have.

Part of my soul is in agreement with your argument that I ought not have been paid for my military service, Elias. It is the requirement of all of us to come forward to defend the polity.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!