[rollei_list] Re: OT: Selenium Meters

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:33:44 -0400

At 02:25 PM 4/21/06 -0700, Jerry Lehrer wrote:
>Marc
>
>I have discussed this with George Milton several times
>over the years and he agrees that the major environmental
>causes of derogation are moisture and temperature. Now
>if you drop the meter, all bets are off.
>
>This is the end of my discussion on Weston meters.  I have
>owned about 200 of them.

Thank you, Jerry, but that is not what George has told me.  George has
advised me that, while enviorornmental dangers are present with selenium
meters, most of these were properly sealed from the 1920's onwards.  So,
yes, you are correct in your definition of the "major environmental causes
of derogation" but I do not beleive that these are the major cause for
failure.  I would suspect that the ratio is along the lines of 25% from
failure of sealing and 75% from failure of the mechanics.  Do you have a
problem with this?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!