[rollei_list] OT: Selenium Meters

  • From: Jan Decher <jan.decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:59:57 -0700

Marc:

I stand corrected on "collapsibe postwar Sonnars" - (of course only some
postwar Tessars (pl. Tessari??) were collabsible  - thanks for pointing it
out.

This is an interesting statement of yours:

"...The Contax III enjoyed a selenium light meter as
well:  as selenium matches the response pattern of chemical films more
closely than do later formulations such as CdS or SPD or Gallium Arsenide,
this is a plus, though the meter requires a mechanical linkage which can be
a problem."

At how low a light level can I trust selenium meters?  Do they actually
somewhat acount for the "Schwarzschild Effect"? I know the Contax IIIa
meter was excellent. Henry Scherer claimes to be able to fully restore
them.
 I am currently deciding whether to look for a Leicameter MR or MC for my
early M3.  The correct period meter would be the semi-coupled selenium MC
with the flip-up door like the Contax (or Ikoflex) meter. However, I am
more interested in accurate metering at low light levels (indoor
photography without flash) than period accuracy.  Shouldn't I look for a
later MR CDS meter?

To bring this around to Rollei: How good is the tiny (Gossen?) Selenium
meter that is attached/hinged to the Rolleiflex (Bay II?) lens hood?
Anyone here using one, or have one for sale?

Jan