[rollei_list] Re: OT: Selenium Meters

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:24:02 -0400

At 02:57 PM 4/21/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   This may be true of Leica meters but is not, in general,
>true of Selenium meters. The most common fault is moisture
>damage due to break down of the seal on the cell. Weston had
>a patented (although I can't find the patent) for sealing
>which worked pretty well. The case is also sealed using
>rubber gaskets. While all meters have problems with the
>meter movement or wiring the cell degradation from moisture
>or excessive heat is the most common.

Speaking of Weston and GE meters and Metrawatt, I dissent. I have never
encountered anysuch which has failed from this semi-mythical "moisture"
problem.  And, again, George Milton and the other repair guys I have spoken
argue that sealing after WWI was pretty good and that the most common cause
of failure was breakage in the mechanical links.

"Most common", no.  An occasional problem, sure.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!