[rollei_list] Re: OT: Schneider enlarger lenses

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 00:27:03 -0400

At 05:29 PM 6/2/2007, ERoustom wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I just bought an old Durst 606 enlarger from an even older gentleman.
>It came with two Scneider-Kreuznach lenses a 4.5 50 and a 4.5 75.
>These seem to be in excellent condition. This is the same company
>that made the S-Xenar for my Rollei 35 (I assume). Are these enlarger
>lenses valuable, and they don't seem to be coated - am I correct in
>thinking that enlarger lenses don't get coated?

Elias

As others have pointed out, this is the very same Joseph Schneider Kreuznach firm which produced the Xenar and Xenotar lenses used on Rolleiflex cameras and, for that matter, on the camera from which the Hasselblad was derived.

There are three broad families of JSK enlarging lenses. The Componar and Componon designs go back to the Prewar years and production was coated after around 1950, as JSK was afforded access to the Zeiss vacuum-coating technology in return for their supply of lenses for Zeiss Ikon folders such as the Super Ikonta range. In the 1980's, JSK introduced a range of APO enlarging lenses, as well, though the term is a word of art and these lenses are not actually of an apochromatic design.

There have been three principal manufacturers of quality enlarging lenses since the end of World War II, and these are Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikon. Their better products are all competitive and the prices tend to be quite close. I happen to use Rodenstock APO lenses for my 35mm and MF work, but there is nothing lacking in the Schneider lenses.

Darkroom gear is all available at quite low rates at present, and I'd probably upgrade your Durst to some APO lenses, but these JSK lenses will not let you down. Even the Componars are decent, and the Componons are quite good.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!