[rollei_list] Re: OT: Schneider enlarger lenses

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:05:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:29 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Schneider enlarger lenses

Hello all,

I just bought an old Durst 606 enlarger from an even older gentleman. It came with two Scneider-Kreuznach lenses a 4.5 50 and a 4.5 75. These seem to be in excellent condition. This is the same company that made the S-Xenar for my Rollei 35 (I assume). Are these enlarger lenses valuable, and they don't seem to be coated - am I correct in thinking that enlarger lenses don't get coated?

Thanks,

Elias

Schneider made some excellent enlarging lenses after about 1946. These are the Componon series. Schneider also made some decent economy enlarging lenses under the name componar. All of these are coated. Enlarging lenses need to be coated just as camera lenses do. The effect of flare is a bit different in enlarging (from a negative) because it causes the shadows to spread out. A high flare enlarging lens can result in somewhat muddy looking prints. As with any lens the condition of the glass is paramount, look for scratches, gouges, etc. A lot of very fine scratches, sometimes called "cleaning marks" can cause a considerable amount of diffusion ruining the contrast of the lens. Schneider has posted a complete serial number list on its web site so its possible to date any Schneider lens to within a year or so.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx