[rollei_list] Re: OT: Lens hoods, was: A Dark Side Update

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:10:01 -0400

At 04:03 PM 7/15/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     Well, my original Rolleicord IV, which was bought new,
>did come with a hood. However, I agree that most lens makers
>did not provide hoods with lenses and some simply did not
>make hoods at all. the only lenses I know of with built-in
>hoods were relatively small lenses mostly for amateur motion
>picture cameras although I have an ancient 50mm Zeiss Tessar
>for an Exakta that is made with one.

A lot of current Leica M lenses have inbuilt hoods, as did many later Zoomar lenses.

Back in the day, when you bought a Rollei TLR, it might not have come with a hood -- but you would not get out of the dealer's shop alive unless you purchased a hood, and some filters, to go with your new TLR. Zeiss Ikon dealers did the same with Contax and Contarex lenses and Ikoflex TLR's and the like.

Today, most digital cameras are bought from a consumer electronics store on the grounds of price -- I got my Rebel T1i at HHGregg, an emporium better known for flat-screen TV's and high-tech washing machines. The salesman from whom we bought the camera HAD heard of lens hoods but admitted that he had never seen one for a digital camera and would not know how to order one. So, I got a $3.95 generic EW-60 from Fotodix, a reputable firm.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!