[rollei_list] OT: Lens hoods, was: A Dark Side Update

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:57:20 -0400

It also aggravates me that Canon does not include lens hoods with their "lower end" lenses. As a case in point, even though the new EF 15-85mm APS-sensor lens costs a whopping $720 (after the recent $100 rebate expired), it does not come with a lens hood. Reviewers on the B&H website consistently point to that annoyance and also that this lens really should be used with a lens hood.

I also reminded B&H on a number of occasions that the dedicated lens hood should really be the first item on the list of accessories (for the Zeiss ZM 1.5/50mm Sonnar, for example), not "lens tissue" or some "off brand" filter kit.

Apropos built-in hoods. It seems In the past manufacturers were much more willing to design lenses with built-in hoods, especially in telephoto lenses from 85mm on up. Why no longer? Leica has been exceptional by building sliding lens hoods even into their last- generation 50mm standard lenses (M & R mount, I believe). Why abandon that practice? I can see the difficulty of designing a built-in LH in a WA to Tele zoom design, but Canon's many long telephoto L lenses (except the 4/300 IS and 5.6/400 mm, I believe) all have cumbersome add-on hoods whose attachment slows you down for a quick shot of wildlife etc. The light weight, super-sharp 5.6/400 L lens is the main reason I stayed with Canon, even though Pop. Photogr. recently labeled it as "getting old" and even though I would love to attach it to a Pentax K7 with its in-body IS. This review also was quite convincing: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/forgotten-400.shtml
Jan

From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Marc,
Though the subject line does say OT ;-), yes, yes they both did. The 80-200 a very nice clip on one, and the 24-70 a bayonet one that the bayonet isn't all that great. But, the one nice thing about Canon hoods is they reverse
and slip over the lense.
..
Regards,
Austin