[rollei_list] Re: OT: Lens hoods, was: A Dark Side Update

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:33:01 -0500

At 04:09 PM 7/15/2010, Carlos wrote:
According some original Burleigh Brooks  (Official Rollei importer for
the States) Retail Prices list, Rolleiflex and Rolleicord cameras were
sold with lens cap, cable release and instruction manual, this was the
common basic kit included in the camera price. Some specific models
(f.e 2.8C) basic kit also included neck strap and flash cord in the
camera price.
Lens hoods and eveready cases were sold separately according the
importer list, anyway perhaps some sellers included these items in
their basic kits.

Carlos

It probably varied by country and by dealer.

I bought my 2.8C in Hong Kong in 1954 and it came with the leather case, lens cap, and neck strap, and also the manuals. The store was one of those "shop window" places as I recall. (You stand in the sidewalk and the showcase is right up against the sidewalk and other items are displayed on a wall behind where the sales folks are).

I also bought a flash, Rolleikin, and various other items, including a lens hood, because the prices were relatively low compared to my meager Navy income at the time. It may be that the lens hood was part of the basic package, it's been a while. [I still have the flash, I later bought a series 2 adapter for it when I had to change to a 3.5F for the Rolleimarin].

It was a nice step up from my Argus C-4, a High School Graduation present. I bypassed the Cannons and Nikons when we got to Japan. They sold for about $130 with f2.0 lens and other accessories in a large Navy-sponsored warehouse. I did buy the mandatory china set there, however. Can't go home without one.

DAW