[rollei_list] OT: Leica Film Length

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:22:56 -0400

At 04:53 PM 9/28/2009, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>The "Leica" format I believe started out as a 40 frame idea.
>I just read that somewhere.
>A thing on Barnack.

There was no established length of cine film in still use when Barnack developed the Leitz camera. (To be fair, though Barnack's camera was the first miniature-format camera to be designed and built, it was not the first to be produced.) And there was no film at all available: the situation when the Leitz camera began to enter the marketplace was as it is today, with no film available at all [he grins]. So Leitz initially supplied film in 40-exposure hot loads for use in the estimable Leitz cassette (a design later to be "borrowed" by Canon after the end of WWII). I honestly do not know how we got to 36 exposures. To roughly 1960, the standard lengths were 36 and 20 exposures, and, from then, 36 and 24. But how we ended up with these Babylonian Base-12 lengths, I know not.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!