[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica Film Length

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:13:15 -0700

Kodachrome came in oddball lengths well into the
1960's and I'd not be surprised at a 12-exposure
roll though I do not recall these.  I am still
lamenting the loss of MF Kodachrome!

Marc

I think I got the 12 exposure number from an old magazine, probably _American Photography_, it would take some searching to find it. The earliest material I have at hand is a 1943 edition of the _Kodak Reference Handbook_ which has a color section. It lists Kodachrome as being available in the following sizes: Regular Kodachrome (balanced for daylight) and Type-A (balanced for photoflood lamps):
Motion Picture sizes
50, 100, 200 foot rolls.
50 foot magazines for Kodak, Filmo 141 and Zeiss Movikon K
50 foot "packets" for Simplex Pockette and Filmo 121 cameras
100, 100, 400 foot rolls single perforated for sound recording cameras.
25 foot rolls of double 8mm
25 foot 8mm magazines for Cine-Kodak 8

Miniature cameras
18 exposure (24x36mm) For Ektra, Leica, Contax Retina, etc.
828 8-exposure rolls (28x40mm) for Kodak Bamtam Special and Bantam.

Kodachrome Professional
Available in two types: Daylight type and Type-B for 3200K lighting. Sheet film sizes from 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 to 11x14 and in metric sizes.

This booklet also discusses Kodacolor film. Kodacolor was available in roll film sizes but not 35mm or sheet film. There does not appear to be a list of sizes.

Film speeds. Its stated in the text that the speed of Kodachrome is about twice that of the "original" Kodachrome. Regular Kodachrome was about ASA-10, Type-A about ASA-16, Professional Type about ASA-12 and Type-B about ASA-8.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA