[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica Film Length

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:41:51 -0400

> At 04:53 PM 9/28/2009, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> The "Leica" format I believe started out as a 40 frame idea.
>> I just read that somewhere.
>> A thing on Barnack.
>
> There was no established length of cine film in
> still use when Barnack developed the Leitz
> camera.  (To be fair, though Barnack's camera was
> the first miniature-format camera to be designed
> and built, it was not the first to be
> produced.)  And there was no film at all
> available:  the situation when the Leitz camera
> began to enter the marketplace was as it is
> today, with no film available at all [he
> grins].  So Leitz initially supplied film in
> 40-exposure hot loads for use in the estimable
> Leitz cassette (a design later to be "borrowed"
> by Canon after the end of WWII).  I honestly do
> not know how we got to 36 exposures.  To roughly
> 1960, the standard lengths were 36 and 20
> exposures, and, from then, 36 and 24.  But how we
> ended up with these Babylonian Base-12 lengths, I know not.
>
> Marc

What became more recently standard and this is in the Kodak literature is
the 80 square inch thing. An 8x10 sheet of paper for the film to fit on to
make a contact sheet. This "unit" was used to compute development and
replenishment rates for "units of film.". A sheet of 8x10 film, two sheets
of 5x7, four of 4x5 and 12 exposures of 120 down the line.
When this kicked in I don't know but I bet it was during my lifetime.
Of course in Europe and any where else there are not 8x10's so who knows?
Maybe an A4 is close enough and that's what they used.

Mark William Rabiner