[rollei_list] OT: Kwannon Prototype

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:52:54 -0400

At 03:41 PM 7/21/2010, David Sadowski wrote:

>"Yoshida's task was made more difficult by the fact that, before 1945,
>Leitz held all of the major patents for 35 mm. camera production. The
>Leica's patented coupled rangefinder and viewfinder under one roof
>presented a particular problem. As Zeiss discovered with the Contax,
>anyone wishing to market a new 35 mm. camera, had to come up with a
>completely new design that was different from the Leica. (After the
>war, with Germany defeated, this was no longer a problem)."

This is simple twaddle, and Peter knows better -- we have discussed this repetitively on the IDCC, and he has never attempted to suggest that this bogus bunk is true.

First, Leitz held no relevant patents involving the Leica camera -- if anything, they impinged on patents belonging to others when they brought out the original A. It is one of the huge myths of all time that Zeiss Ikon (NOT Zeiss -- the Japanese always confuse these two separate companies) had to "work around" Leitz patents and that is just false. See Kuc, inter multa alia, for a discussion of this.

Second, yes, German patents failed to be a problem after V-J Day: the Allied Control Commission for the Pacific refused to allow the German companies to protect their intellectual property rights, so Canon and Nikon and others just looted the patent files of Zeiss, Zeiss Ikon, Leitz, and anyone else they thought to vandalize. It was theft: pure, simple, raw theft. Canon and Nikon are both firms founded on fraud, deceit, dishonesty, and larceny, and the record is clear on that. The Canon RF cameras are simply copies (one cannot say, "Chinese copies" -- "Jap copies" works better) of the LTM design, and the Nikon RF are a combination of the Zeiss Ikon RF and lens mount from the Contax RF and the Leitz shutter design. Theft, folks, theft. Nary one cent in royalties was ever paid, though Zeiss stuck it to both companies on a number of occasions since then.

Once the Peace Treaty was signed in 1954, that restriction on protecting patent rights no longer applied, as Yashica found out with their "Grey Baby 44": F&H sued Yashica and won across the board, obtaining damages and forcing the Yashica camera off the international market.

Thanks for the clarification. I really find pre-1946 Canon gear a huge yawn in the great scheme of things.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!