[rollei_list] Re: OT: Kwannon Prototype

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:27:26 -0400

At 04:07 PM 7/21/2010, Peter K. wrote:
What proof do you have Peter is incorrect Marc? I mean aside diminishing someone else comments or alleged facts.

I did not say that Peter was incorrect, Peter K: to the contrary, he has agreed with the historical record on many occasions over the years on the IDCC. I stated that the cited text, which I presume from its texture was drafted by a Japanese national, was just a gross bloviation. It sets out the "Japanese spin" on the historical record.

As to proof, look at a 1948 Canon and a 1948 Nikon. Then try to find any agreement between Zeiss or Zeiss Ikon and either Canon or Nippon Kogaku permitting their use of German patents, or the payment of any royalties. The items speak for themselves. If you want more, look to the record of the 1968 US District Court decision in New York between the Zeiss Foundation (the owner of both the Zeiss lensworks and of Zeiss Ikon, as well as Winkel and Gauthier and Deckel) and Pentacon. Pentacon claimed they were permitted the use of Zeiss Foundation patents as the Foundation had not defended themselves when these patents were pilfered by the Japanese, and the Court blew that argument out of the water by pointing out that the ACC had refused to allow the Germans to protect their intellectual properties.

Or speak with Emil Keller or Dr Carl Nelson. Keller was the US Army manager at Leitz from '45 to '48. Nelson was the US representative on the Allied Committee for Optical Reparations.

Or read my books and articles. Or read Kuc. Or join the Zeiss Historica Society and pick up the backfile of the JOURNAL or do the same with the Leica Historical Society of America or Leica Historica in Germany, and read their journals.

The record is VERY clear though the Japanese will not acknowledge the error of their ways. After all, the Emperor never surrendered: he just declared "the war to be at an end" and Japan still has to acknowledge any war guilt and refuses to recompense injured parties such as Korean Pleasure Girls or Allied POW's. That is the record: I am not Japan-bashing, but only pointing out the realities.

Finally, when the Zeiss Foundation sought a Japanese partner, they avoided Nikon like the plague and tried to cut a deal with Asahi; when that fell through, they linked up with Yashica. Similarly, Leitz refused to look to Canon as a Japanese partner but chose Minolta, one of the few companies which had not stolen German patents. Old memories run long: Zeiss made certain that Nikon and Canon were left out when it started producing lenses for digital p&s cameras, and Sony got the benefit.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!