[rollei_list] OT: Kodak Film Formats

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:33:53 -0400

At 03:20 PM 7/18/2010, David Sadowski wrote:

>The difference between 120 and 620 is the spool- thinner, I think, for
>620 although I am not sure what the supposed advantage was there.
>
>126 was supposed to (I guess) replace 127.  The thought there was to
>eliminate the tricky (for amateurs) film loading procedure by using a
>cartridge.  But the film inside the cartridge was the same essentially
>as 828, right?

620's thinner spools allowed slimmer cameras was the excuse used by Kodak but as 620 cameras are regularly converted to take 120, this seems to have been a bogus matter and, in the end, Kodak simply was making a film which would only fit Kodak cameras.

126 was decidedly not meant to replace 127; it was meant to replace 135 in amateur circles. The format failed due to the inability to secure a flat film surface, though quite a few nice cameras were made in this format.

Film quality improved by leaps and bounds over the years -- a professional level 127 camera in 1970 could have produced the same quality of print that a 120 camera yielded in 1960, but Hasselblad and Franke & Heidecke were both asleep at the switch, or else we would have had 127-format teensy-weenzy Hassies used by pros in the 1970's. But one afterthought on this improvement was 110, which was supposed to yield 135 quality in a more user-friendly format. It was not a bad idea: I have an underwater 110 camera behind me as I write, and you can still get 110 film, so the idea must have had some adherents.

828 I cannot explain but, then, I've never put a lot of thought to why the format was produced. Maybe there is something in McKeown, who has a section on film formats.

The explosion in silver prices had a minimal effect on black and white film production but that was already being threatened by the Eco-Nuts, who were insisting that silver be reduced. The industry responded to the increase in silver prices by modifying processing line to recover silver and to keep it out of the effluent discharge. For many years, home processors could buy devices to put in their chemistry to recover the silver: some guys I know made some money doing this back in the day. Then the Hunt brothers ran up the price and busted it, and silver fell dramatically, around 1979.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!