[rollei_list] Re: OT: Health Care Costs

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:38:19 +0100

My mistake.

I know he works for Fox, but not that it is divided up in that manner. Fox is interesting in that they have quite right-slanted news, yet broadcast Family Guy and SouthPark on the same channel ;-). The success of the channel only shows the growing amount of fundamentalism in the US, and that conservative groups are much better organized and coordinated as compared to liberal ones (everyone's out 'doing their own thing', I guess, whereas conservatives all tend to agree on many basic premises).

The Economist I know as well. Comparisons are pretty easy to do, and mostly subjective. How do you quantify quality of life? For some people life in the US might be better. For others not. There is a great potential there, but it seems to me often squandered. It also seems that the last 20 years has really polarized the political areana and brought political views into all sides of life - unfortunately, and seems to have gone so far as to get inthe way of common sense and finding good solutions. There are no good solutions any more, because the politics get in the way and become more important than the solution itself.

I didn't mention it in my other post, but there are other benefits here. F.x. standardized labour laws. Everyone (everyone!) has the right to 5 weeks of paid vacation per year, from the first year of employment. You *have* to take at least 2 consecutive weeks, and have the right to take up to 3 consecutive, or more if your employer agrees. Everyone has free medical (as several others have already mentioned). While I can go to any doctor I want, the system is set up so that you have your own doctor (making it easier to follow your health and your families over time, and to establish a good relationship with). If I have something acute, I call at 8:00 and can usually get an appointment the same morning (there are also emergency rooms for off-hours), if not, we set up an appointment. Medicine is paid for up to a certain amount, above that limit (I think it's around $200/year) it's free (you get a free card as soon as you pass that amount in a calendar year). Social security is set up to actually work, on average you get 60% of the best 20 years of your earning career as pension. It's paid for through the taxes. You can buy an additional pension coverage plan if you want, but it isn't necessary to have a decent retirement income. Retirement age is 67, but you can retire as early as 62 if you want (but receive a slightly lower pension as a penalty).

Taxes run between 30-50% depending on how much you earn. Earn a lot, pay more tax. Seems fair. You still end up with more disposable income, even after taxes, when earning a bigger salary. I'm self employed, so the rules are slightly different. Regardless, you will never be taxed more than 50% (and that's only on the top portion of your income - not on all of it, and appropriately called "top tax"). So maybe you pay 32% for the first $75k, then 40% for the part between $76-150k, and 50% on everything above $150k. Of course, when you get up to even higher income levels, you hire a tax attorney to move your address and business somewhere else and don't pay any taxes (ref. my other posting). ;-p

As far as the Economists numbers go, the statistic figures I linked to in my other posting are official, and can be viewed for any country or constellation of countries, and any time period. Same with the US one's, so there's nothing to debate - the numbers are there for all to see.

Fox news not mentioning Europe is not surprising, there is a dearth of coverage from outside the US (perhaps excluding the occasional drug piece from Mexico or Columbia and the Olympics from Canada) in general in the US media. It's almost like the rest of the world doesn't exist. I've also witnessed the amount of self-censorship that goes on, which is rather ironic. For years and years the US went on about the evil communist Soviets, how there was no free press, etc. At least the soviets knew that their press was censured, and could work around the obvious. The self-censorship in the US is much more insidious, and it's much harder to detect for the common citizen. But hey, anything no not piss off your advertizers, and to not be viewed as 'anti- american'. McArthy would be proud :-)

You didn't comment on the other points I raised...

Thor

On 22. mars. 2010, at 09.58, Marc James Small wrote:

Thor

Richard has no connection with Fox News. He works for Fox Sports. I do not want to speak for him, but I doubt if he holds Fox News in much regard. Fox News, incidentally, is hugely successful and has a viewer audience larger on most nights than the COMBINED audiences of CBS, ABC, and NBC News and of CNN and MSNBC. Quite impressive.

Last summer, a British magazine, THE ECONOMIST, did a couple of articles comparing various aspects of US life with that in Europe. My figures came from there -- and the EU officials DID respond with several Letters to the Editor, but they accepted the figures as set out in THE ECONOMIST's articles.

I do not recall the issue of Europe being mentioned much on Fox News, other than a lot of sarcasm about the complete failure of Obama at the Copenhagen Climate Conference and the implosion of the British climate scientists. Otherwise, they generally do not discuss much in the way of foreign affairs, being a decently isolationist network.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!