[rollei_list] Re: OT: Health Care Costs

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:34:13 -0400

At 10:02 AM 3/21/2010, Eric Goldstein wrote:
Marc -

Basically you are accurate in saying that it is insurance companies who have escalated health care costs far above the rate of inflation over the decades, and that cost containment is the key to bringing affordability back into the US health care system. They have done it because of the failure of the so-called "free market," they have done it via a fee-for-survices reimbursement structure, and they have done it by adding an additional 10-13+% to the cost of health care via their administration and profit.

Where your argument goes astray is the suggestion that tort reform is the answer. At most, successful tort reform, if it could be meaningfully achieved, would result in about a 2% reduction in health care costs, which won't cut it no matter what your goal for the future of health care. We need to find about 13% to get us to a place where we can move forward by insuring most every citizen, if that is the goal, and about 8-10% to get us to future solvency under existing programs.

Eric

You did not read my original posting very carefully.

The culprit on cost containment was not the insurance companies but the Big Bad Gummit, which demanded the insurance companies pay and pay and pay. It was only under Reagan that the Federal Gummit finally was ordered to cut it out and to allow the insurance companies to set their own rates. That was when the docs found their incomes being cut. Not the fault of the companies at all -- totally the fault of Kennedy and Johnson and Nixon and Ford and Jemmy Cahter.

And you may have been listening too much to Bill O'Reilly. I am not speaking of HIS idea of Tort Reform. I want to open the system to allow the insurance companies to resolve minor medical malpractice claims as they now resolve minor car-wreck cases.

Mrc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!