[rollei_list] OT: Health Care Costs

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:29:01 -0700

Eric,

FWIW, Florida and other states (12 as of now with Michigan just joining)
have a lawsuit claiming the bill in its current form is unconstitutional.
Specifically the part making it mandatory to buy insurance. In other words,
this means that you could be arrested/fined if you do not purchase it. This
will be interesting to see how it plays out.

While I would like health care to be available regardless of my health or
who employs me, I believe the real issue is the insurance companies
practices. Let me explain briefly from experience. When I was hospitalized,
my bill was about $16K. The insurance company that I had only paid the
hospital $1,400. When I asked the accounting department about this they told
me that because of the agreement/contract with the insurance company, I as
an individual was not responsible for the balance of $14K. When I asked what
happens to it then, they told me the hospital writes it off. The interesting
part to this is that if I did not have any insurance, then I would be
responsible for the entire amount. So IMO its the Insurance company
practices that are really the reason for the rise in health care costs.

BTW, in the current Health Care bill there is a clause that exempts Nebraska
residents from mandatory insurance. They are in the process of removing
this. It is known as the Cornhusker Kickback. Ironically, Nebraska is one of
the 12 states participating in the lawsuit.

Peter K

--
Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬