[rollei_list] Re: OT: Getting into 4x5 for the first time...

  • From: "Jeffrey L. Bromberger" <jeffrey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:53:04 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:
> Usually people start off with a cheap Calumet ³student² camera.
> Then they progress to a mid range better one. A Cambo or a Toyo.

On a whim, I started with a Toyo 45CX.  Lordy, that was an experience -
jumping from Nikon/35mm to 4x5.  After hauling that around for about 4
months, I upgraded/added by getting an additional 45AX.  My excuse was that
since the lens boards were the same, why not go for a second view camera?
Learned more than I ever thought I wanted to about exposure, composition,
reciprocity failure, darkroom practices and chatting with the folks who
think you're odd if you take photos while ducking under a black cloth.

The only two smart decisions I made was to stick to Rodenstock lenses and to
be reasonable and shoot 6x6 if I needed something bigger/denser than 35mm.
Which explains my 6008i system.

It's sad, no?  Nowadays, the extrinsic value of film cameras is dropping
faster than the dollar while there is nothing wrong with the technology.  If
only I had access to a reasonable priced digital 4x5 back, just to save me
the burden of processing and scanning the chromes.

I think I hear my camera calling me...

j, a mere novice in any format bigger than 35mm.
---
Jeffrey L. Bromberger
jeffrey@xxxxxxxx