[rollei_list] Re: OT Contact Printing ... contact proof printers

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:44:46 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 8:30 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT Contact Printing ... contact proof printers

On 8/21/06, Richard Knoppow wrote: (snipped)

Of
course, the film was Verichrome, an ortho film, so the red
safelight could be used.

Talking about missing the look of old materials...

Eric Goldstein ---

I suppose in theory one could use a filter to duplicate ortho film but it doesn't seem to work in practice. Ortho had a very definite look. I suspect the strong skin texture in some of Karsh's portraits of men was due to the use of ortho film. His portraits of women have a completely different look. In at least one publication the film was given as Kodak Portrait Pan. This film had an upswept characteristic similar to the current Tri-X sheet film. Kodak also made ortho film with the same sort of curve. That would have brought out skin textures even more. I think a lot of Karsh's distinctive look came from careful lighting; he certainly was familiar with classical painting and the lighting and posing are very reminescent of that.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx