[rollei_list] Re: OT Contact Printing (was Re: OT Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:07:29 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 7:32 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT Contact Printing (was Re: OT Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?)

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Eric,

Nah! That wasn't magic. In my case, it was poverty. I contact printed
until I could afford an enlarger, and could use Kodabromide paper.

As a kid, photography was considered a considerable expense and an extravagance. Yes, enlarging was out of the question, as was color. I saw my first color photographs as a five year old visiting a well-to-do great uncle. He had a Polaroid. Talk about magic...

Relative to the printing boxes, I think the one I used had a switch for the light built into the pressure door...

Eric Goldstein ---

The switch was pretty much standard. Most boxes had a small "safelight" bulb, a red or orange nite-lite type bulb plus the exposure bulb or bulbs. There was usually a switch to turn the printing light on or switch it to the pressure plate switch.
Several companies made large, floor standing, printing boxes for mass production of contact prints. This was done, for instance, for movie star fan prints and for the promotional still one used to see displayed in front of theaters. Printers were made for 8x10 and 11x14 maximum _negative_ size.
I don't know when contact printing fell out of use but printing boxes were still being advertized in the 1970's.
I don't believe contact printing paper had any magic. For instance, the late, lamented Azo had curves and image color very much like Kodabromide. I really doubt if anyone could tell a contact print made on one from the other.
Up to the 1950's all the major paper suppliers made contact paper, usually both a cold or neutral tone paper and a warm tone paper.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx