[rollei_list] Re: OT Contact Printing ... contact proof printers

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:57:48 -0700

At 11:10 PM 8/21/2006 +0000, Carlos wrote, in part:

I had a contact proof printer like you described
Richard, it had a little red bulb to examine the neg
and to place the paper and a white lamp to do the
exposure pressing a button, it had a ground glass, a
transparent glass and a lid with felt to press neg and
paper, it also had a mask that you could handle to
obtain clean edges in the proof;

I remember an embarrassing moment when I was in grade school, developing film in a print tray (using the method where you hold the ends of the roll and let it pass through the chemicals).

Anyhow, I needed a safe light so I went to the local TG&Y store and bought a little red bulb.

I quickly learned that that bulb was not "safe" in any way, but it took a few rolls to find out why the film was so hazy. Then I went to our local photo store (probably a drug store) and got, for more money a real safe light.

Those were in the days of the Kodak Tri-Chem-Pac, which seemed like an elegant way to go at the time. The only problem was getting the powders to dissolve in their respective trays.

I think I still have some of those negatives, probably taken with a Kodak 620 box camera, later replaced by a camera with a bellows, "a big time upgrade" for me.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA