[rollei_list] Re: OT: A PC Computer Query

  • From: "Dave Hunter" <dhunter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:02:48 -0300

Meant to say:

One comment on the page quoted by the other gentleman is
extraneous, as this gentleman is running a 300 megahertz
Pentium.

3 megahertz If I was driving a dinosaur, I couldn't go 100
mph on the highway, even using high octane fuel :-)

This is a battle I constantly run into with kids who get
used machines through my program. They automatically update
all of the software I load on them to the very latest,
largest, and hardware hungry versions, then wonder why the
machine has slowed down.

On my machine, teatimer uses less than 1 percent of the
processor at any time.

Incidentally, just as an example of what not using spyware
protection can do to a machine, I received back a machine I
had given away some months ago. It was a relatively new
machine, and no slouch as far as speed was concerned.

However, when it was received back, it was now terribly
slow, taking three to four minutes to boot. First thing I
did was load spybot on it and run it. It found over 800
pieces of adware - some quite malicious. I deleted them,
and the machine was then 100 percent back to normal,

It was returned to her with instructions to run spybot
frequently and to leave the resident protection in place.
Since then she has had no problems.

Dave

The Island Register - P.E.I.'s Premiere Genealogy and
History Site
http://www.islandregister.com

PEGenWeb - http://www.islandregister.com/pegenweb.html

The Prince Edward Island Surname List -
http://www.islandregister.com/surnames/

The Telephone on Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/phones.html

Don't have time to check the Island Register each day?
Subscribe to the Island Register Newsletter at:
http://www.islandregister.com/whatsnew.html