[rollei_list] Re: OT: 35mm Slides from Digital Images

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:06:35 -0400

Old article indeed - old site too, but useful.

That explains some of it - I wonder if the CRTs are much improved. Current sites don't seem to ask for such large files.
I don't know if my 12MB 4/3 digital files even make such large tiffs.

Thanks,

E.

On Oct 12, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Hi Elias -

The film recorder is the hardware which "projects" the image for
shooting... it is a very high grade proprietary CRT mated to a film
camera. The resolution of the projection system is matched to the film
format used for output. Here's an explanation of the math:

http://www.modernimaging.com/film_recorders.htm

It's an old article and modern recorders are capable of significantly
higher resolution, though in truth few projection applications require
it.

While it is true that MF projection may have an edge over high-end
digital projection in terms of resolution, it is much for expensive,
much less reliable, and does not provide the production options of
digital projection technology. I have not seen a commercial or
corporate projected conference presentation with film in years... the
industry has moved to digital to match customer demands.

If you ever have the chance to attend an NSA or ISU conferences, you
will see stereo digital and film projection (very demanding
applications) in 35 mm and MF. You can judge for yourself the current
state of the art for each medium; these folks have been moving more
and more to digital projection for the reasons we've been discussing.

Eric Goldstein

--

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM, <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From what I've read - it seems that the way the digital file is transferred to slides is by projecting the digital image onto a roll of slide film and then processing it (E6). So what you have is a slide to project that is itself a 600x900 pixel image. 900 pixels over 36mm is 25 pixels per 1mm (pretty good) which projected to 1 meter wide (in my classroom) would spread those 25 pixels across 40mm, and from 2-3 meters away, nobody is going to see them. I suppose that enlarging it to something like 2 meters wide you would see it. Some of the services offer higher resolution output for around $4 a slide... at that price I'll reshoot. But at $2 a slide for what I was missing from my lecture, 600x900 will do just fine.
Thanks Mark and Eric for sharing your confidence with the process.
John, I'm surprised that your scan did so poorly when projected digitally. I had a friend give a lecture to my class last fall, and he hooked up his laptop to the department's projector and what we saw looked pretty good to me. I probably didn't notice the pixels so much, as it was a typography lecture, and I'm used to seeing type on screen. All his images were either scans of flat art (b&w line art) or point-and-shoot digital captures from his notebooks.
Elias