[rollei_list] Re: OT: 35mm Slides from Digital Images

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:26:34 +0100

The highest resolution domestic digital projector I can find is 2.3 megapixels, which is probably pretty impressive for video, doubtful for stills, no?

Frank D

On 13 Oct, 2009, at 15:55, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Hi John -

You are only looking at half the equation. From the perception side,
unless you are ortho to the screen you're ability to see all the
enhanced resolution is very limited. Also, the experience you sited in
an earlier post relative to a 800 x 600 projector is very dated
information.

As I mentioned earlier, MF projection may have an edge in absolute
resolution, but most will not see it and the downsides when compared
with digital projection are substantial.

Eric Goldstein

--

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM, John Wild
<jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The web page is interesting but it just goes to show that to recreate a 6x6 tranny you get a 192MB file. So a 15.5MB file from a DSLR is paltry by comparison. I know that the sizes are not totally comparable because it depends on the file format and bit depth but the 8,192 lines per inch must be comparable to the pixels on a 15.5Mb camera ie 4752 pixels (long side)

John

On 12/10/2009 23:15, "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The film recorder is the hardware which "projects" the image for
shooting... it is a very high grade proprietary CRT mated to a film
camera. The resolution of the projection system is matched to the film
format used for output. Here's an explanation of the math:

http://www.modernimaging.com/film_recorders.htm