[rollei_list] Re: Macro with Enlarging Lenses on the SL66?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 07:25:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Kovacs" <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 5:11 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Macro with Enlarging Lenses on the SL66?

Has anyone fooled around with enlarging lenses for medium format macro? I recently picked-up 50mm and 80mm 6-element Nikkor enlarging lenses and I wonder whether its worth the trouble to adapt them to my Rolleiflex SL66?

Do they cover 6x6? If so, any idea of which f/stop and amount of extension required for coverage? I'm just trying to get a ballpark number to see if they fall into a useful magnification range for me.

I wonder how sharp they will be? The 80/2.8 Planar seems to perform pretty well but I think the 50/4 Distagon suffers in the macro range from being a retrofocus design. I don't own one but the 120/5.6 S-Planar is just too long to consider for some of the higher magnification work I do.

I haven't got the enlarging lenses yet (still in the mail). I assume they are LTM in which case I can rig up something to mount them. A blank SL66 lens board from Hadley Chamberlain and a junked Soviet LTM lens mount ought to do the trick.

Any guidance somebody can provide that has been down this road?
---

FWIW, I've used enlarging lenses, specifically Schneider Componons, as macro and micro lenses for LF. My understanding of the definition is that macro photography is very close but where the image is smaller than the object, micro photography is where the image is larger than the object. For micro work the lens must be reversed to obtain best correction.
The 80mm should cover 6x6cm at any object distance but will be best where the object is at the same distance as used in enlarging. 6x6 enlarging lenses are usually corrected for about a 1:5 magnification ratio. The 50mm lens will cover where its used rather closer. Any lens will cover double its infinity coveage at 1:1, however, enlarging lenses for 35mm are generally corrected for a magnification of around 1:10 to 1:15 so it won't do for table top or similar work.
For micro work the conjugates are reversed. The side of the lens which in enlarging faces the film is here oriented toward the object. The optimum distances (and magnification) is still the same but the other way. So, for instance, a reversed 50mm lens works fine for enlarging coin sized objects to an 8x10 negative. The object field covered will be about the same size as the negative the lens is designed to enlarge and the image size will be similar to the print size, although, of course, smaller film can be used for greater magnification.
It is a principal of optics that a lens with fixed position elements can be simultaneously corrected for spherical aberration and coma for only one object distance. Depending on the lens the correction may remain good over a wide range of distances, or may become significantly degraded much beyond the optimum point. As a rough rule of thumb the stability of the correction is better as the curvature of the elements becomes less, so, slow, rather narrow coverage lenses tend to have more stable corrections than fast or wide angle lenses. Hence a process lens, like the Goerz Apochromatic Artar, which is optimized for equal object and image distances, can work very well even at infinity focus if stopped down a little, where very fast lenses, for instance a Zeiss f/1/5 Sonnar or Schneider Super-Angulon, is not suitable at fairly close distances, as in enlarging, unless stopped down considerably.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx