[rollei_list] Re: HEALTH CARE

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:48:46 -0500

At 09:42 AM 3/23/2010, you wrote:
I thought I'd never enter the fray. Silly me.

I too take several hundred dollars of pills each month, but insurance pays most of the cost. But that is not the point. $700 per month is too much for an average person to pay. A few specialty drugs can up the cost to thousands of dollars a month. When I heard that there was going to be a real effort to socialize medical distribution I envisioned things such as out of control drug costs. What we got is a massive, little understood tidal wave of new legislation that does very little to touch the fundamentals like drug costs, doctor's fees and hospital costs. Add to the plot the fact that government has never shown an ability to control its own spending, and we have a formula for disaster. (Pundit signing off.)

Allan

Canada- Although it's supposed to be illegal to mail-order drugs from Canada the U.S. Government winks and lets the mail go through. I am well covered by the VA now as well as my Medicare Advantage plan which has it's own pharmacy, but a few years back drug prices were killing me.

One state on the Canadian border used to (probably still does) take folks on a bus run to Canada to pick up drugs every month. No one stops them.

When I lived in the San Diego area we used to go to Mexico. If they stopped you and you had a valid RX there was no problem. Of course we often arranged to have an empty bottle with an American RX on it and just filled it before we came back across the border. We stopped going to Tijuana when they started shooting 10-20 people every week. When it was just 1-2 killings we felt relatively safe. We also called ahead to give the pharmacy time to send a bicycle to another pharmacy in case they were out of our drugs. Usually they didn't require an RX. Other times they drove you over to a doctors office and she would write an RX for a $10 fee.

If anyone is interested in a reputable pharmacy there contact me off list. (Ignore those that send you spam every day though).

The procedure is that you get an RX written by your doc, either mail or fax it to the pharmacy in Canada, a doc there writes a Canadian RX for you, and the drugs are shipped.

In many cases the drugs are shipped from where they are manufactured, Ireland, India, some very strange places, but they are the real thing and cost a fraction of what we pay here in the U.S.

This is something to check if your drugs aren't on the WalMart $4.00/$10.00 list.

Going a different direction, if you can, the VA charges $8.00 per month, per drug, a large drop from the $180+ I used to pay.

DAW