[rollei_list] Re: Gossen Sixtar

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:20:35 -0800

   FWIW, I have gear with mercury cells that are many years old and still good. One problem is that they quit very suddenly.
   I have used Alkaline cells in a Nikon-F using an O ring to compensate for the smaller diameter and wound some foil on the ring to create a side contact. They work OK and I checked the calibration against the same meter with mercury cells, it didn't change. The problem is that the alkaline cells have a short life and tend to exude some sort of powder when the cells get old. You can't leave them for very long periods. But, its fairly easy to get old gear going again with cells you can get at the drugstore. Basically hearing aid batteries.
   A lot of mercury is used in fluorescent lights of various sorts. There are recycling programs for them. Too bad the same thing was not devised for mercury cells.
   Note, that mercury cells and batteries were used for many years as bias cells in electronic equipment. Difficult to substitute anything in them but can be done. They had virtually no demand so would last the shelf life of the cell, perhaps a couple of decades.

On 2/14/2022 5:47 AM, Eddy Willems wrote:

do you know where I can buy such an adaptor to use LR44 (S76) Silver Oxide cells in Gossen?

best regards

---
Rollei List

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Online, searchable archives are available at

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WB6KBL

---