[rollei_list] Re: Flashbulbs

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:41:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Jensen" <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Flashbulbs

> To clarify the designations of F and SM, I went to the
> flashbulb site I spotted a couple of days ago:
>
> "Type SM "Class F". - These GE Speed Midget Class F
> (fast peak) flash bulbs were designed for use with
> focal plane shutters, usually at 1/60 second shutter
> speed and stopped action like a strobe flash. Bayonet
> Base. These bulbs reached their peak of use during the
> early 1960s.  Gas filled. "
>
> It looks like the purpose of the SM bulbs is to
> provide quick action with focal plane shutters at the
> slow speed when the curtain is entirely open.  I
> presume the FP bulbs have the long duration for use
> with the focal plane shutter at hegher shutter speeds.
>
> John

  See my post. Class F or Speed Midget bulbs were not
intended specifically for 35mm cameras. They _could_ be used
with them at a slow enough shutter speed so that the entire
aperature was open at some point, just like strobe. The main
purpose, as I pointed out, was for use on cheap cameras with
simple shutters. The Speed Midget, because of its nearly
intantaneous ignition did not need a delay mechanism at
relatively slow shutter speeds. Box cameras and other cheap
cameras seldom have shutter speeds of more than 1/50th
second. This is enough for a SM bulb to come up to full
intensity while the shutter is still open when the bulb is
triggered simutaneously with the shutter by a simple
contact. Actually, Class-M bulbs can also be used with
shutters that have no delay provided that the shutter speed
is slow enough so that the shutter doesn't close before the
lamp has come up to full intensity. For practical purposes
that is around 1/25th second. In normal use the shutter
speed controlled exposure over a fairly wide range just as
it does for steady light. Because the gas filled SM lamp had
such a short dwell time, perhaps 1/200th, the lamp dwell
controlled the exposure time, again in a manner similar to
strobe.
   Since the Class FP bulb for focal plane shutters had
sufficent dwell time the FP shutter could be used normally,
as it can't with strobe. A FP shutter set at 1/1000th second
has greater motion stopping ability than a Class-F Speed
Midget lamp. A Speed Graphic equippled with a multiple
reflector flash gun and using its focal plane shutter was a
common tool for certain kinds of sports photography,
particularly boxing where the photographer was generally
close to the boxers.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA