[rollei_list] Re: Care of the Rolleiflex covering

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:17:18 -0400

Very interesting and thanks for the link. Much of the language on this
site is very similar if not identical to the Lexol site!

I am a little sceptical of the claim these people make that their
products can "restore" old stiff leather." Once fat-liquored leather
has been neglected, lost it's oils and has dried out and stiffened,
replenishing the oils will not "restore" it as most people (and
conservation professionals) would defne the term. These folks
acnowledge this on some of their content pages yet claim the opposite
on others!

Eric Goldstein

--

On 7/17/06, Jeff Kelley <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I looked into leather restoration when I got my 50 year old MX-EVS. I discovered the Pecard Company.

http://www.pecard.com/

This company has been making leather restoration products in Wisconsin since
1902 and is known in the museum and historical societies for its products to
preserve and restore old leathers.

Click on the link "Antique/Restoration Dressing" in the left column.
Order the Antique Leather Care Kit.

I used the brown stuff on the ever ready case, filter cases, etc., and the
black stuff on the camera body.  Just tiny amounts applied with Q-Tips was
all it took.

They look new!

Highly recommended.

- Jeff Kelley -