[rollei_list] Re: Another question about recent Rollei TLRs

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 22:49:46 -0800

Thank you, Carlos  the first illustration is PERFECT because it is exactly the
same in its formal aspects as the gorgeous 'F&H' logo engraved on the top cover
of my Old Standard lens cap.

(I think what you're calling 'art nouveau,' however, is what I referred to as
'art deco.'  Alphonse Mucha and the designs of the old Metro entrances are
classic art nouveau, the more flowery and florid style that thrived at the turn
of the [previous] century; whereas the spare & formal style of the first
illustration is a classic example of of the art deco style of the 1920s.)

At any rate, the classic Rolleis, exhibiting what Prochnow called the
'engineers' design,' strike me as the best of all examples of the Bauhaus ideal
of Form matching and mating with Function.

This is at the heart of my attachment to Rolleis.  If I just wanted to take
sharp square pictures, I'd use a Mamiya 6.  But nothing looks/feels/functions
like a Rollei with its vintage lenses.

Thx again,
Kirk