[rollei_list] Re: Another question about recent Rollei TLRs

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 15:11:45 -0300

2012/1/1 Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Because of my senior citizen eyesight, I've needed Maxwell screens in my
> older Rolleis.  I'm serious about acquiring an FW and wonder if the screen
> will be bright enough to focus easily with an f4 viewing lens.
>
> How about the focusing screens on these newer models?  Are they already good
> and bright, or is it advisable to have a Maxwell screen installed?

1) Focusing screens for the SL66, SLX, 6000 series cameras, Hy6, X-Act
and GX/FX/FW/FT are compatible and interchangeable among them and then
you have a lot of original Rollei focusing screens to choose for the
TLR last models.

2) Rollei Bright High Definition focusing screens are among the bests
in the market and they could be only compared with some focusing
screens for Hasselblad cameras, HD screens have micro structure
surface for optimum assessment of depth of field and focusing. From
Rollei literature: "The AF High-D screen – ultra-bright focusing
screen showing AF focusing area for optimum  assessment of depth of
field. Brilliant viewfinder image even in poor light..."

3) Brightness is a significant condition for a focusing screen,
however as significant as brightness or more significant it's the
focusing screen capability to make the best focusing point easily
distinguishable and to have a certain 3D ability to separate the image
planes according the different focusing degrees. Ground Glass screens
have these capabilities, they are the reasons GG focusing screens are
appreciated. Some old Rollei TLR camera users that bought brighter
screens returned to the darker GG screens because the new no original
brighter screens did not allow to identify the best focusing point
easily. BTW, there are other users satisfied with the brighter
screens.

4) In 1957/58 Rollei developed focusing screens considered top High
Tech at the time, they mixed ground glass and Fresnel lens features
(with focusing aids for some versions) obtaining brighter screens
keeping the GG features for the new TLR models with interchangeable
viewfinder hoods and interchangeable focusing screens. This technology
was copied by other manufacturers and it became the basis for brighter
and brighter focusing screens.

I use the original GG focusing screen for my 2.8C and for the
Rolleicord IV, I try to keep the viewing system as clean as possible,
I have some eyesight problems like astigmatism beside the age and I'm
satisfied with the results, the difference between the C 2.8 and 'cord
IV 3.2 viewing lenses is only perceptible for very poor light.
I also use the original focusing screens for the 3.5F and SL 66, they
are brighter on the edges than the GG screens, they also have focusing
aids. The SL66 focusing screen is the brightest one regarding the
others three and I have no problems to focus with the f4/80 Distagon
lens.