[rollei_list] Re: Another question about recent Rollei TLRs

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 18:19:50 -0300

2012/1/1 Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I was using Hasselblads for decades before getting my Rollei SL66s. My
> Hasselblads had the latest Acute-Matte D screens which were very bright,
> corner to corner. By comparison, I could barely use the native SL66 focusing
> screens. So I bought and installed Maxwell screens in my three SL66s. What a
> HUGE difference. And focusing ease and accuracy with the Maxwell screens
> left the Acute-Matte D screens in the dust! The Maxwell screens were hands
> down better. If I were to keep my Hasselblads, I would have replaced the
> Acute-Matte D screens with Maxwell screens.
>
> When I was 14 (I'm 74 now) I got my first real camera, a Rolleicord III.
> With young eyes, viewing and focusing seemed OK. But at some point later on,
> I got a Rolleigrid - a fresnel lens that simply dropped in on top of the
> built-in focusing screen. It did indeed brighten-up the viewing image and
> made focusing easier.

Your experience is a valuable one Jim, however other users also with
similar experience using the original focusing screens and the Maxwell
screens have a different opinion, this is Daniel Ridings opinion taken
from a public discussion on the topic and you can find similar
opiniions in the web:

" I just want to confirm Carlos statement that some find it more
difficult to focus with the brighter, after-market, screens on older
Rolleiflexes and Rolleicords.

For Rolleiflexes with a 2.8 viewing/focusing lens, I've gone back to
just the original stuff.

For Rolleicords (the older ones, V and before) that have 3.5 viewing
lenses, I've tried both. I have a Maxwell screen in my Rolleicord V,
but I opted out of installing one in my Rolleicord IV or the
Rolleiflex I got from Phil. I could have had it installed in the
Rolleiflex, but in my experience, the brighter screens just do not
"snap" into focus. The whole screen looks good, so it is difficult to
find the point that is in focus.

I came across a Rolleigrid on eBay a while back. I just pop it in the
Rolleicord, but when it comes to the Rolleiflexes, I have just never
needed one.

I had a brighter screen in my Rolleiflex E, but I ended up putting the
original back.

As they say ... your mileage may vary. It's a personal thing.

Daniel"