[rollei_list] Analog and Digital Projection

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:33:28 -0500

At 01:19 PM 2/23/2008, Eric Goldstein wrote:

 >From an engineer's POV you may well be right, but from that of the
 >practitioner/artists with which I work with, there is no contest. You
 >are not accounting for the receiving end of the exchange; projection
 >is a very non-critical display medium because commonly almost no one
 >is even at ortho viewing conditions when projecting; thus it is rather
 >non-critical relative to resolution. In contrast, a typically loupe
 >provides much higher effective mag.  Brightness is much more of a
 >factor on the "wow" end of the equation, and here there is no contest.
 >Contrast... the eye cannot distinguish between 4 stops and 6 stops, it
 >looks for the relative number of tones, and digital does just fine
 >here. And you did not speak to all the other production factors which
 >digital allows that make for a high-end presentation with real
 >impact...

Eric

There is a logical disconnect here.  Or, maybe, I am just being=
 thick-witted.

You know seem to be saying that technical=20
differences between analog and digital projection=20
do not matter to a non-critical and non-technical=20
audience.  I had thought that you had earlier=20
stated that digital projection was clearly a cut=20
above in quality so that even a non-critical=20
non-technical person could see the difference.

I know precisely the validity in Jim's=20
remarks.  I have seen top-end digital projections=20
and I have seen top-end ama;pg projections, and=20
even someone who had never before seen a slide=20
show could see the difference -- the analog is=20
clearly brighter and sharper and the colors are truer.

SOMEDAY, digital projection will catch up,=20
precisely as SOMEDAY digital cameras will equal=20
the quality possible from analog.  For most=20
purposes, digital, due to its convenience, is now=20
more capable than analog but, still, for raw data=20
storage and transmission, analog still outpaces=20
digital by a significant margin.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!