[rollei_list] Re: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium format" (was: Austin has ...

  • From: "Jim Somberg" <jimsberg_04@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:15:50 -0700

"I have a RH10 but I seldom use it since it's like using a Rolleikin on a
> Rolleiflex."-Siu Fai
Have you ever tried a Rolleikin? shoots verticals in the normal TLR holding
position; horizontals require a prism and pistol grip. The quality, however, is
very good since it uses a smaller, center portion of the 75MM lens coverage.
And if 120 film isn't available, it's a plausible alternative. It was
originally developed, according to Ian Parker, because slide film was not
originally available in 120 in the 30's and 40's. I regularly use the Rollei
645 conversion kit on one of my Rollei Ts to get the extra four exposures (32
on 220 film) with a format close to the standard print sizes. The square format
cannot be beat for flash pix, however, since the flash when attached to the
camera is always on top and you can make the vertical v. horizontal decision
after the pix are taken.

As far as the Sony digitals are concerned, I am disappointed with my son's P10
version because of the shutter lag, particularly with flash due to the red eye
preflash thing and the inability to see what apertures and shutter speeds are
being used. Produces a lot of very delete-able crappy shots, which is why they
have that delete button, I'm afraid. Using higher iso speeds just produces more
crappy shots.