[rodgersorgan] Re: Toccata & Fugue in D Minor - Bach

  • From: "Paul Marshall" <p.marsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:06:52 -0500

I agree that you have to have fun with it, but precisely because it is
so dreadfully immature compositionally as an organ work. If Bach wrote
it at all, is was for the violin, and somebody else arranged it for
organ (quoth Peter Williams and others). I think the "organ testing"
thesis, always the excuse for such lousy compositional technique, does
not enjoy much of a vogue these days.

I say this to support your praise of the flamboyant performances: there
is nothing in the piece that requires subtle interpretation, so let the
tool do the work via registration and dynamic changes, and have a little
fun.

When I think of all the people/colleagues I have seen/heard play this
thing so solemnly, so meaningfully, I start to cry with laughter. The
Toccata puts me in mind of Mozart's satire of Salieri in "Amadeus," and
the fugue is hardly deep, so the only thing left to do is have a ball.
If JSB wrote this for organ, it had to be as deliciously vulgar
self-satire (of which he was capable--see the Coffee Cantata), another
argument to pull out many of the stops and just go with it.

Or as Virgil Fox so famously said, "Beatrice Lilly rides again!" Hi, Ho,
Sebastian!

Now where did I put Noel's 32' Ophicleide disk for the PR-300S?

On a serious note, Berghaus just rebuilt the 4/81 at St. Stephen's in
Wilkes-Barre, with wonderful results. However, at the first recital,
you-know-what was played for the masses, the organist remarking rightly
that old BWV 565 is the world's most recognized piece of organ music.

Paul Marshall