[rodgersorgan] Re: Toccata & Fugue in D Minor - Bach

  • From: "John G. (Jack) Cormack" <jackjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:21:17 -0500

At 09:26 PM 1/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Having met a gentleman in his 60's today who has never learned the
>T&F....(everybody
>plays it so why bother learning it was his attitude for many years!) what
>would be
>your advice when it comes to learning the piece?
>--
>noel jones, aago
>athens, tennessee, usa

What a pity.  Playing the T & F in D minor is a means of showing off the skill
(or lack of it) of the performer.  Learning it well enough to play it well
enough
for the public to hear it, while possibly not a challenge for organ
professionals,
is a challenge for me -- and I am 83 years old.  But I am still learning it !!!
Hope to master it before I die.

The joy of hearing beautiful music, well played, takes effort, but the result
is worth the effort.

Jack Cormack
Potomac, Maryland