[rodgersorgan] Re: Toccata & Fugue in D Minor - Bach

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:39:07 -0800

Scott wrote:

"It never ceases to amaze me how Bach was able to work within the=20
"confines" of the Baroque style, as some have put it, and then just go=20
wherever he wished harmonically."

Scott, you said it. What impresses me about Bach's musicianship was that, =
working within the strict Baroque forms, he wrote beautiful melodies. Even =
in a fugue! To me, that proves his capability as a composer.

And for organists, it's playing within the "purist" style that proves the =
organist's abilities: if you can play in the baroque style and still bring =
out the musicianship of the composition, you're a fine organist, indeed. =
It's not that playing it outside it's style is bad music, it just that =
playing it in its style proves the organist understands the piece, it's =
style, and the ability of that style to make beautiful music.

Best regards,
Charlie