[rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -

  • From: "Mike Salvo" <msalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:40:26 PDT

As a "consumer" of church music, and as a past Elder in the
Presbyterian Church, I sympathize with Clark's comments below.
His experience is not unlike some of the things my church went
through as well.

Eventually, to build a youth component in the worship experience
we established two services.  It was an interesting experience
initially, but did not produce the results hoped for.  The church
managed to retain a portion of the youth outreach participants by
using other things to keep them interested and involved, and we
returned to a traditional service for the whole congregation.
Thankfully, we charged it off to a summer time experiment.

Our particular church organ was not well suited to something that I
wanted to try.  If there is a way to see the organ (and sometimes
piano) as the main musical support in your worship experience, we
have to become more attached to it.  Why then do we only give out
about 15 minutes of organ music per week?  How fast could you
learn about something, or gain an appreciation about something,  if
that is all the time you put into the process each week?

To promote the use of the organ, lets have some concerts and play
various kinds of music for the congregation to enjoy.  Bring in a
guest artist.  Have a duet with a congregational member that can
play an instrument.  Have the children's choir participate so the
parents will be there.  Demonstrate the versatility of the instrument
by "teaching" the congregation what it is capable of.  How many
church organs are played as though there is only one "color" to it -
like a black and white photograph - dull and boring.  Exercise those
other stops and combinations!  Use MIDI.  And for goodness sake
LIGHTEN UP the play list.  If you want people to love the instrument,
you HAVE to play at least a few pieces of light music.  My kids
always said that because our organist was old (over 45) all they
could do was make the organ moan and groan like themselves.

One of the things I used to enjoy about listening to J. Nordwall play,
was his chat with the audience either about the stops he would play
and when and where they would be in the piece, and why that was
being used.  Or he would speak about the composer and what was
going on in his life when he composed this piece. These things
serve as "hooks" to engage the listener and to mentally add you
into the performance.

So rather than feel beat-up and un-appreciated, -you - who have
such wonderful gifts to be able to play the King of Instruments, need
to lead the way.  So "Stand UP for your music."  Help, your
congregation to experience the power and soul moving depth of
feelings your instrument can deliver.

And finally, "I play the prelude in our church, which is hard to hear
above the raucous crowd laughing and hollering as they gather."
Our organist used to adjust his volume accordingly!  Then we
changed our bulletin so it contained words at the top, admonishing
the congregation to enter the Sanctuary in reverence and stillness
for those who are here to worship. Ushers would also use finger to
the mouth shushing gestures for those that needed a reminder.  A
lay person standing at the lectern, head bowed, also has the same
effect.

From:                   HANEYRPH@xxxxxxx
Date sent:              Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:56:17 EDT
Subject:                [rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -
To:                     rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send reply to:          rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Noel, you hit the nail on the head with your comments about "Sound Man". Even
though our church has an antiquated PA system, more and more soloists would
rather be accompanied by a recording blaring through this, complete with
far-off choirs which could be compared to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir being
used as back-up singers. I suppose these soloists, whom evidently cannot sing
above a whisper  (which requires the microphone to be earsplitting high)
practice these tunes driving in their car, playing them on their CD changers.

I play the prelude in our church, which is hard to hear above the raucous
crowd laughing and hollering as they gather. Then I sit idle on the bench for
30 minutes as we go through 3 praise songs, announcements, etc. Sometimes
play an offertory, then sit down until the end when I play the invitation
hymn and postlude.

It truly is a downer, as you said, and yes, my (and the pianist's) morale
does suffer.

Clark Haney Wells
Tahoka, Tx

Michael Salvo