[rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -

  • From: kathy olv <koboe_37315@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:31:37 -0700 (PDT)

if you don't have a good sound man. one that has some sembeilance of what music
is you can be in trouble.our sound man is very electronic savey. He does a
great job at toning down the recorded accompaniment. He does many great things
for our church in the area of sound.HOWEVER the problem comes when the sound
man thinketh he knoweth more than the music committee.insisting that you mike
the instrumental players and the end up screeching because the mike is
distorting their sound. ( believe me this particular violinist would never
screech by herself.)OR when he tells you there is no mike on the piano but some
how the piano gets louder than the organ. I guess that is why they call the
music department the war department. IT is sad that we forget what the
sanctuary is God's house. I think we can all agree on the fact that it is God's
house. we have taken a very unique approch to the noise level between
services.it seems that the hymns that we have been discussing that our mothers
use to play are being forgotten because they are not being taught someone
somewhere got the idea that hymns are not fun or good music or whatever the
reason is. we don't teach them. well we at my church do. forapproach10 minutes
( 5 min. after the bell rings to end classes). we start singing hymns from the
hymnal.the neatest thing happened when it started.people don't stay in the
foyer talking they don't sit in the sanctuary talking they all including most
of the young people come in sit down and sing.( our church size is 900)it may
not work for everyone but it has been a very nice change for us.Kathy oliver

HANEYRPH@xxxxxxx wrote:
Noel, you hit the nail on the head with your comments about "Sound Man". Even
though our church has an antiquated PA system, more and more soloists would
rather be accompanied by a recording blaring through this, complete with
far-off choirs which could be compared to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir being
used as back-up singers. I suppose these soloists, whom evidently cannot sing
above a whisper (which requires the microphone to be earsplitting high)
practice these tunes driving in their car, playing them on their CD changers.

I play the prelude in our church, which is hard to hear above the raucous
crowd laughing and hollering as they gather. Then I sit idle on the bench for
30 minutes as we go through 3 praise songs, announcements, etc. Sometimes
play an offertory, then sit down until the end when I play the invitation
hymn and postlude.

It truly is a downer, as you said, and yes, my (and the pianist's) morale
does suffer.

Clark Haney Wells
Tahoka, Tx

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com