[rodgersorgan] Re: Blame the Preacher!!

  • From: Lauren Gadd <Gaddzooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:55:40 -0700

Dear Randall:

I think we all have a nightmare or two like that happen if we play long
enough, but it sure is tough!

My only like comparison was about 15 years ago, one of my husband's
employees asked me at the last minute to play for their wedding at a little
community church.  It was to be very simple, just one song before the
wedding, play her up and play her down. A pianist was to do the rest.
Rehearsal went well, and the day of the wedding, everything seemed to be
going fine.  I did, however, notice that the pianist and vocalist were
rehearsing LONG after people arrived, and it surprised me. I walked over to
one of the groomsman to make sure that my watch was correct....I was a fast
by 20 minutes.  He asked my if I shouldn't start my music, and I replied
that it was OK, that I had gotten there early and still had at least 40
minutes before we were to start playing.  Then I noticed an anxious bride
poke her head around the corner, and the preacher give me a "hi-sign" to
start the Wedding March.  I was confused, but went over to the organ and
began the processional.  After the wedding, the preacher came over to me and
appoligized.  THE FAMILY HAD MOVED UP THE TIME OF THE WEDDING THE NIGHT
BEFORE AND DID NOT TELL ME....BY ONE HOUR!!!!  I could have died!

I did accept payment since it wasn't my fault, at the family's insistant,
but I wasn't very pleased about it.  Glad my watch was fast or I wouldn't
have been there for the wedding at all!  (ha)

Lauren Gadd
Knoxville, TN