[rodgersorgan] Re: A tale of two organs

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:57:52 -0400

Noel and List,

A major stumbling block to purchasing an organ is the lack of information
available.  Many instruments are purchased based upon pre-conceived notions
based upon past history...usually over a limited number of instruments.

Unlike automobiles for which it is simple to get a blue book and look over
values, get car magazines study newspaper ads and so on...

I've often felt a responsible organist would go out every two or three years
and
call all the rep's in th earea, pipe, non-pipe, combinationa and so on and
say,"I'm not buying an organ, but I would like to visit one or two, play them
and see what you are up to."

That has never happened to me in the past 27 years....

All too often the purchase of a new organ is put off until absolutely
necessary,
and the search process is more like arranging a funeral than anything else.

I know of a denomination that buys and then replaces organs every 15
years...selling off the old one while it still has a lot of life in it...and
value.

And don't laugh at the 15 year figure...EP pipe organs of ten require
releathering at 25...most analog electronics will go that long and longer.

noel jones

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com

To post send messages to: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx