[rodgersorgan] Re: A tale of two organs

  • From: "Richard Torlai" <rltorlai@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:48:14 -0400

Noel:

I believe the answer of young people not attending organ concerts has
something to do with the family not doing it so they don't do it either. We
know that we have that "special appreciation" or that calling and the love
of the instrument, but not that many youngsters know what that is. Parents
that do attend functions do so around Christmas and then after going to the
concert, remember it briefly before going on to the television set and the
kids go up to their rooms to play nintendo. It takes a special dedicated
parent to put music in front of their children and drum it into their heads
so that they grow up with a "clue" about the wonderful world of music, let
alone the wonderful world of organ.

When I was in college (many years ago) the emphasis was in piano. So many
really good pianists were attempting to make it as concert pianists, only to
fail getting into a good college because they simply weren't good
enough...so then they started taking organ jobs to help get some money
coming in. I believe the keyboard is still pushed today, but once again, its
the piano...but these kids should be forced to attend organ concerts (if
there are any given) just so they can see what a real instrument is and
maybe, they would fall in love, the way i did many years ago.

Rich

>From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
>To: "RodgersUsers" <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [rodgersorgan] A tale of two organs
>Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:46:33 -0400
>

>Private UMC college nearby recently installed a 69-rank tracker action
>instrument in their performing arts hall...cost $1.1 million, that's about
>$16,000 per rank (!!), builder is not one of the better-known firms, was
>hand-picked by the powers-that-be, no other firms were invited to bid on
>the job (!!), I attended inaugural concert a few nights ago...hall seats
>700 and was packed, but VERY few under the age of 60-70...why?  Fellow
>AGO'ers who were there concur that it looks nice but leaves a lot to be
>desired otherwise, tracker or not.
>Also attended recital at a local Presbyt. church, small-ish building, seats
>about 300, they had a 20-odd rank pipe organ, recently added 30-odd ranks
>of Walker electronics and new console, all agree it sounds wonderful.  Why
>not Rodgers or Allen?  Very dry acoustic...doesn't Walker offer "reverb" to
>fix this?
>
>Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
>St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
>Rodgers 835B and PR300S
>

>!

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com

To post send messages to: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx