[roc-chat] Re: Stability: Time to Use the Mojo

  • From: Jack Garibaldi <jackgaribaldi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:23:42 -0700

Put a K in that mother and the booster will come off automatically
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack G

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:25:12 -0700
From: indanapt@xxxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you'd like I can punch the numbers into ROCKSIM with and without
shadowing. I just need the basic dimensions to get you a CP (not CG but CP).

 Just ask.

---------------------------------------
Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt

"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella

  _____

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 21:01:58 -0700
From: rubr.duky@xxxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Silly question... Why not six?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:46, Richard Dierking <redierking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thank you!  After reading the first couple of replies I was beating my head
against my desk and saying "why did I make the fins pink and blue!" and "why
did I ask those guys!"  I did appreciate the humor.

If I showed the rocket core without the strap-ons (I'll use different
colored paper next time), you might say the blue fins are large enough.
But, the strap-ons hide the size.  For one side, the pink fin is 120 cm^2
and the blue fin is 90 cm^2.  So, the pink fin has about 25% more surface
area but only sticks-out 3/4" more.  4" Goblin fins have about 85 cm^2 per
side  There are 4 fins on a Goblin and I usually build with 4 fins.  I can't
do that with a 9 strap-on configuration.

As usual, as the mass of the solid engines is consumed, the CG will move
forward.  But, the strap-ons will shed during the flight and change the CP
and keep in mind that each of the core fins are between strap-ons that will
be released during powered flight.  This really complicates things.

I thought about adding fins to the strap-ons but this creates some
additional problems like re-contact after deployment and the possible roll
force on the attachment points.

(one hour later...)

I'm going to use the pink-sized fins.

Thank you, and I'm going to blame all of you if the rocket's overstable or I
become unstable.  :)

Richard

> Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Stability: Time to Use the Mojo
> From: allen.farrington@xxxxxx
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:49:29 -0700

> To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> Pink, definitely. You know, how big should they be if the pods had no CP
effect, but still have the mass? I think that they look small.

> Allen
> Allen H. Farrington
> 818-653-2284
> web: http://www.allenfarrington.org
>
> On Aug 10, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Richard Dierking wrote:
>
> > When you're working on something like this Delta II you start to develop
mind roll. I realized that I need to make a decision on the fins before I
become a really old man.

> > So, please look at the two photos showing a blue and pink fin. There
will be 3 fins and they will be transparent and the rocket's about 6' tall.
As Barney would say, "time to use our imagination..." Please provide your
vote.